Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Makers of LACTAID® Brand Products
Thanks to Fanny Flagg’s novel, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe, and the 1991 movie of the same name, even folks who are generally unfamiliar with southern food know about fried green tomatoes. No doubt about it, they are quintessentially southern. Tomatoes grow plentifully in many parts of the country, but rather then waiting to be overwhelmed by an abundance of ripe tomatoes, take advantage of them when they’re green.
3 cups canola oil, for frying
2 large eggs
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup seasoned salt*
1 tablespoon black pepper
6 large green tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2 inch-thick slices
- Heat about 2 cups of the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat (There should be about 1/2 inch of oil in the pan. It will appear to shimmer on the surface when it is ready).
- Mix the eggs and LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Milk together in a large shallow pan.
- Combine the flour, garlic powder, seasoned salt and pepper in a second large shallow pan.
- Coat the tomato slices first with the egg mixture and then dredge them in the flour mixture, coating well.
- Fry the tomatoes about 4 to 5 slices at a time, in the hot oil and fry on both sides until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Drain tomatoes on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Add more oil to the pan as necessary
- To serve, season to taste with additional seasoned salt and arrange on a serving platter.
For a reduced sodium version, use 2 tbsp. seasoned salt.