Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
This recipe, made using LACTAID®, is adapted from Melissa’s new book SUPERMARKET HEALTHY.
- Place a 12-cup muffin tin on the middle rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Add the eggs and granulated sugar to a blender jar and mix on medium speed until light yellow. Add the 1 cup warmed LACTAID® Milk and blend. Add the flour, cinnamon, and salt and blend until smooth.
- Use a pastry brush to grease the hot muffin tin generously with the melted butter. Add any remaining butter to the batter and pulse to blend. Pour the batter into the warmed muffin tin, filling the muffin cups about three-quarters full. Bake until the popovers are golden, about 20 minutes. (Do NOT open the oven door!) Turn off the oven, keep the oven door closed, and continue to bake the popovers until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the cream cheese with the remaining 3 tablespoons LACTAID® Milk until smooth. Sift in the confectioner’s sugar, and whisk until smooth and creamy. Remove the popovers from the oven. Use the tip of a paring knife to poke a tiny slit at the top of each popover (this will allow steam to escape, and will keep your popovers from getting soggy). Brush the popovers with the glaze and serve warm.
* 2 Tablespoons of reduced fat cream cheese contain less than 2 grams of lactose. 2 Tablespoons of Neufchatel cheese contain less than 1 gram of lactose. Reprinted from Supermarket Healthy: Recipes and Know-How for Eating Well Without Spending a Lot. Copyright © 2014 by Melissa d’Arabian. Photographs © 2014 by Tina Rupp. Published by Clarkson Potter, an imprint of Random House LLC.