Makers of LACTAID® Brand Products
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups LACTAID® Fat Free Milk, scalded
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons instant coffee crystals
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt 1/2 cup of sugar slowly in a heavy saucepan, until the sugar has caramelized and turns a golden brown color. Pour into a 9 X 13 pan or a 1 1/2 quart souffle dish, and swirl so that it completely covers the bottom of the pan.
- Beat the eggs slightly with the remaining 1/3 cup of sugar. Add the LACTAID® Fat Free Milk slowly, while stirring. Add the vanilla, the instant coffee dissolved in water, and the cinnamon. Strain and slowly pour the strained mixture carefully into the prepared pan.
- Place the dish in a pan of lukewarm water. The water should come to 2/3 of the dish and should never boil during the baking. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Immediately remove from oven and let cool in refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or overnight, before serving.
- To serve, run a knife around the edge of the flan; place a serving platter with a rim upside down on top of the dish and invert. The flan will easily slide out and the caramel sauce will run onto the platter. To serve, cut into wedges; spoon on sauce.