Not your ordinary tuna-noodle casserole. Mushrooms, green beans, and sweet peppers add color and flavor to this family-pleasing dish.
4 ounces dried medium noodles
1 (10 ounce) package frozen whole or cut green beans
¼ cup fine dry bread crumbs
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 medium red or green sweet pepper, cut into bite-size strips
1 medium onion, chopped
½ cup sliced celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon dry mustard
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (9 ounce) can tuna (water-pack), drained and broken into chunks
LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Lactose-Free Milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook noodles according to package directions, adding the green beans the last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain and set aside.
- Toss the bread crumbs with the 1 tablespoon melted butter; set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, sweet pepper, onion, celery, and garlic. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender. Stir in flour, salt, mustard, and black pepper. Add LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Lactose-Free Milk all at once; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in tuna, cooked noodles, and green beans.
- Spoon tuna mixture into a 1 ½-quart au gratin dish or oval baking dish. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture atop casserole. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through and bread crumbs are golden.
© Copyright 2007, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.