Chicken in Creamy Mushroom Sauce
This lactose-free creamy mushroom sauce is made with delicious bacon and LACTAID® Lactose-Free Whole Milk. Take your chicken dinner from average to amazing, and enjoy your next date night or family meal without any discomfort!
2 strips bacon, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 chicken breast cutlets, 4 ounces each
2 tablespoons flour, divided
½ small yellow onion, chopped
8 ounce button mushrooms, sliced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup white wine (optional)
½ cup chicken stock
½ cup frozen green peas (no need to thaw)
Pinch of salt and black pepper
LACTAID® Lactose-Free Whole Milk
- In a large sauté pan, cook bacon over medium high heat, until crisp, about five minutes.
- Remove bacon and set aside, reserving fat in pan. Add half the olive oil to the pan.
- Salt and pepper the chicken breasts, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the flour, gently patting the flour into the chicken.
- Brown the chicken in pan until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the chicken and set on a plate.
- Add the remaining oil, the onion and the mushrooms, and cook over medium high heat until softened, stirring occasionally, about five minutes. Add the thyme and garlic, and cook another minute, or until fragrant. Add salt and pepper, and sprinkle on the remaining tablespoon of flour and stir well.
- Turn heat up to high, and deglaze the pan with the wine, and let bubble until wine disappears (about 20 seconds).
- Reduce heat to medium, add the stock, peas, LACTAID® Lactose-Free Whole Milk, and chicken, and let simmer, gently stirring, until sauce begins to thicken, and chicken is cooked through, about three minutes.
- Serve with bulgur wheat, quinoa or noodles.