- In a large mixing bowl combine 2 1/2 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and stir LACTAID® Reduced Fat Milk, sugar, butter, and salt just until warm (120 to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (45 to 60 minutes).
- Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease two 8x4x2-inch loaf pans.
- Shape dough into loaves by patting or rolling. To shape dough by patting, gently pat and pinch each half of dough into a loaf shape, tucking edges beneath. To shape dough by rolling, on a lightly floured surface, roll each half of dough into a 12x8-inch rectangle. Roll up starting from a short side. Seal seams with fingertips as you roll.
- Place shaped dough in prepared pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (30 to 40 minutes).
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven about 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped (if necessary, cover loosely with foil the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning). Immediately remove bread from pans. Cool on wire racks.
© Copyright 2007, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.