- Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold water (optional: for added flavor swap out part of water with broth, or add a spoonful of bouillon concentrated paste such as Better Than Bouillon).
- Add salt, bring to a boil, and cook just until the potatoes fall off a fork when pierced, about 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, and press through a potato ricer into a large bowl.
- Mix in the butter, yogurt (optional), warmed Lactaid milk and chives to blend.
- Add a tablespoon or 2 extra Lactaid if necessary to obtain desired consistency.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add suggested topping, if desired:
- - Chopped Brussels Sprouts, tossed with olive oil and fish sauce and roasted until crisp
- - Crispy sautéed pancetta, baby peas and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese
- - Rotisserie chicken, a drizzle of barbecue sauce and chopped pickles
- - Grocery store package of slaw and frozen fish sticks
- - Chopped crispy bacon and a little shredded Swiss cheese (low-lactose), and stick under the broiler to gratinee
- - Add a tablespoon of chipotle in adobo sauce or harissa into the mashed potatoes when making the recipe, and top with pork carnitas or rotisserie chicken and chopped tomatoes
- - Top with sauerkraut, bratwurst and a drizzle of spicy mustard