Poppy Seed Tea Bread
Perfect for gift giving, this quick bread is so tender and rich-tasting that it is almost like eating cake.
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 ½ cups sugar
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup cooking oil
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ½ teaspoons almond extract
LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Lactose-Free Milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease the bottom and ½ inch up sides of four 5 ¾x3x2-inch loaf pans or two 8x4x2-inch loaf pans; set aside.
- In a very large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Make a well in the center of dry mixture; set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the eggs, LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Lactose-Free Milk, cooking oil, poppy seeds, vanilla, and almond extract. Add egg mixture all at once to the dry mixture. Stir just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 50 to 55 minutes for the 5 ¾-inch loaf pans or for 60 to 70 minutes for the 8-inch loaf pans or until a toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove loaves from pans. Cool completely on wire rack. If desired, wrap and store overnight for easier slicing.
© Copyright 2007, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.