Rich and creamy, this delectable acorn squash soup is made with lactose-free LACTAID® Protein Milk so it comes with an extra boost of protein. Savory thyme, sage, and onion compliment the sweet acorn squash to make a soup that will warm you up from the inside out.
3-4 large acorn squash
tablespoon olive oil (plus extra for drizzling)
large yellow onion
teaspoon fresh thyme
teaspoon fresh sage
teaspoon black pepper
teaspoon cayenne pepper
cups vegetable stock
Roasted pumpkin seeds (optional)
Squash Bowls (optional)
- Heat the oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the acorn squash in half and remove the seeds. Peel the carrots and cut them in half.
- Drizzle the squash and carrots lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 20-40 minutes or until the flesh is soft and can be easily pierced with a fork.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, lightly sauté the onion for 3-5 minutes or until aromatic.
- Scoop the roasted acorn squash out of the skin and add to the pot, along with the carrots, herbs, spices, and vegetable stock.
- Bring up to a gentle simmer and then blend using an immersion blender until mostly smooth.
- Add in the LACTAID® Protein 2% Reduced Fat Milk and blend again until the soup is smooth and creamy.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with a little drizzle of milk and roasted pumpkin seeds if desired.
- Heat the oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the tops off the acorn squash and carefully remove the seeds, making sure to keep the bottom of the squash intact.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 20-30 minutes until the squash is just tender but still holding its shape.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.