Chicken Thigh Curry
Chopped apple mellows the spicy flavor of curry powder by adding just a hint of sweetness. An assortment of condiments will satisfy individual tastes.
8 (4 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 teaspoons curry powder, or to taste
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¾ cup reduced sodium chicken broth
1 medium cooking apple, cored and chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups hot cooked rice
LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Lactose-Free Milk
- In a large skillet cook chicken thighs in hot oil over medium heat about 10 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned, turning to brown evenly. Remove chicken; set aside.
- Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic to skillet; cook until vegetables are tender. Reduce heat to low. Add curry powder, salt, and cinnamon; cook and stir for 1 minute. Carefully add chicken broth and chopped apple. Return chicken to skillet. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. (Internal temperature should reach 180 degrees F with an instant-read thermometer.)
- Transfer chicken to a serving platter; keep warm.
- For sauce, combine LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Lactose-Free Milk and flour; stir into pan juices. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more.
- Spoon some of the sauce over chicken. Serve with rice and, if desired, assorted condiments. Pass remaining sauce.
*Examples of Assorted Condiments: Raisins, chopped hard-cooked egg, peanuts, chopped tomato, chopped green sweet pepper, toasted coconut, chutney and cut-up fruits.
© Copyright 2007, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.