What is lactose-free vs. dairy-free?
If you’re overwhelmed by all the options in the milk aisle, you’re in good company. We’ll help you sort out what the terms mean and how to decide what to drink.
The main difference is that lactose-free products are made from real dairy, while dairy-free products contain no dairy at all. Dairy-free products are made from plants, such as nuts or grains. Neither lactose-free products nor dairy-free products contain lactose.
For example: Lactose-free products include LACTAID® milk and LACTAID® ice cream.
Dairy-free products include soy milk, almond milk, and coconut milk.
Lactose intolerant? Don’t ditch the dairy
If you’re lactose intolerant, you might think it’s time to say goodbye to dairy – but there are plenty of good reasons to keep it in your diet. Here are a few:
- LACTAID® lactose-free milk is made from 100% real dairy, just without the lactose – and includes all the natural vitamins and nutrients that come with it.
- Most almond milk contains only 2% real almonds – the rest is water, sugar, and additives. Each serving contains only 1 gram of protein, compared to 8 grams of protein per serving of LACTAID® milk.
- Most soy milk is sweetened with sugar. Vitamins, minerals, and thickeners are added during the processing phase. LACTAID® milk is real dairy, with naturally-occurring calcium and other vitamins. It contains no thickeners.
A nutritional powerhouse
Did you know that real milk and dairy products can help keep you healthy? Along with a healthy diet and exercise, they can help:
- Keep bones and teeth strong. The calcium, phosphorous, and magnesium in real dairy is good for bones and teeth, protecting against tooth decay and diseases like osteoporosis later in life.
- The American Diabetes Association®* recommends eating a healthy diet* with a wide variety of foods including non-fat dairy products.
*The links provided herein are for convenience only. No sponsorship or endorsement for or by any third party is implied
Dairy without the discomfort
It’s easy to keep dairy in your diet with LACTAID® products and dietary supplements. Now you can enjoy the delicious taste of the milk products you love, without feeling badly later.
Also In This Section
The LACTAID® Difference
Why settle for one dessert when you could have two? We...
Now you can enjoy this classic mint chocolate chip flavor in...