Angel Cake with Berries and Cream
This heavenly dessert starts with angel food cake-either a homemade or a bakery cake will do. Top cubes of cake with creamy custard and fresh berries.
For the Custard
¼ cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon finely shredded lemon or orange peel
For the Toppings and Assembly
3 cups cubed angel food cake
½ (8 ounce) container non-dairy frozen light whipped dessert topping, thawed
2 cups mixed fresh berries, such as raspberries, blueberries, and/or sliced strawberries
Fresh mint (optional)
LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Lactose-Free Milk
For the Custard
- In a heavy medium saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in 2 cups LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Lactose-Free Milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Gradually whisk about half of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks. Return all of the egg mixture to the saucepan. Cook and stir until bubbly. Reduce heat to low. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Quickly cool the custard by placing the saucepan into a bowl half-filled with ice water for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Transfer mixture to a medium bowl. Stir in vanilla and lemon or orange peel. Cover the surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.
- Divide angel food cake cubes among 6 individual dessert dishes.
- Fold whipped topping into chilled custard.
- Spoon the custard mixture over the cake cubes.
- Sprinkle with berries.
- If desired, garnish with fresh mint.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredient.
© Copyright 2007, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.