1 1/2 cups LACTAID® Reduced Fat Milk
3 ounces coarsely chopped Mexican-style sweet chocolate
1 (2 inch) cinnamon stick
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup sugar
Bottled chocolate-flavored syrup (optional)
Toasted sliced almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a heavy medium saucepan combine LACTAID® Reduced Fat Milk, Mexican-style sweet chocolate, and stick cinnamon. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture simmers. Remove stick cinnamon; discard. Remove saucepan from heat; set aside.
- Meanwhile, to caramelize sugar, in a heavy 8-inch skillet cook 1/3 cup sugar over medium-high heat until the sugar begins to melt, shaking the skillet occasionally to heat sugar evenly. Do not stir. Once the sugar starts to melt, reduce heat to low and cook about 5 minutes more or until all of the sugar is melted and golden, stirring as needed with a wooden spoon. Immediately divide the caramelized sugar among four 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins; tilt custard cups or ramekins to coat bottoms of the cups evenly. Let stand 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl use a rotary beater or wire whisk to lightly beat eggs just until mixed. Stir chocolate mixture and 1/4 cup sugar into beaten eggs. Beat until well combined but not foamy.
- Place the custard cups or ramekins in a 2-quart square baking dish on an oven rack. Divide the chocolate mixture evenly among custard cups or ramekins. Pour boiling water into baking dish around custard cups or ramekins to a depth of 1 inch. Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until set in centers.
- Remove cups or ramekins from water. Cool slightly on a wire rack. Cover and chill up to 24 hours. To unmold flans, loosen edges with a knife, slipping the point of the knife down the sides to let air in. Invert a dessert plate over each flan; turn custard cup or ramekin and plate over together. Remove cup or ramekin.
- If desired, drizzle each flan with chocolate syrup and sprinkle with a few toasted sliced almonds.