Cheesy Chicken Crescent Rolls
Made with shallots, shredded chicken, LACTAID® Milk and naturally low-in lactose cheddar cheese, these cheesy chicken crescent rolls make a delicious meal or dinner appetizer that won’t cause discomfort!
2 tablespoons minced shallot
1 ½ tablespoon butter or margarine
1 ½ tablespoon all purpose flour
¾ cup low sodium chicken broth
¾ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided into ¼ cup portions*
½ teaspoon salt, divided
½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
1 cup chopped or shredded cooked chicken
1 container of 8 count large crescent rolls
LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Lactose-Free Milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan, cook the shallots in the butter over medium/low heat, stirring frequently until soft.
- Sprinkle the flour into the shallot mixture and whisk until smooth and bubbling.
- Whisk in the broth and LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Lactose-Free Milk. Let simmer over low heat stirring frequently until sauce begins to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in ¼ cup of the cheese, half of the salt and half of the pepper.
- In a medium bowl, mix the chicken with ¼ cup of cheese and the rest of the salt and pepper.
- On a flat surface, roll out crescent dough with the point away from you. Place a tablespoon of the chicken mixture into the widest part of the dough. Roll the crescent dough and chicken mixture.
- Repeat with the remaining crescents. Any leftover chicken mixture can be added to the cheese sauce.
- Place the rolls in a greased 2 quart baking dish.
- Spoon the sauce over the crescents and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake until the crescents are cooked through and the cheese is golden brown, about 25 minutes.
*¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese contains only 0.2 grams of lactose. Source: USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference Release 26