Chicken Pot Pie
Treat your family to this simple lactose-free homemade chicken pot pie recipe tonight. Our version of the recipe uses LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Lactose-Free Milk and all the flavorful ingredients chicken pot pie is known for, like sweet potatoes, squash, and carrots.
1 box refrigerated pie crust (2 pie crusts)
⅓ cup olive oil
⅓ cup finely diced onion
⅓ cup all purpose flour
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 ½ cup chicken broth
½ cup carrots, diced ½ inch
½ cup parsnips, diced ½ inch
2 cups sweet potato, diced ½ inch
2 cups butternut squash, diced ½ inch
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Lactose-Free Milk
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until soft.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper and cook briefly.
- Whisk in chicken broth and LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Lactose-Free Milk, stirring until you reach a simmer.
- Add the vegetables and cook until they become slightly soft, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes. Add chicken and set aside.
- Unroll 1 pie crust and place in a 9-inch glass pie pan.
- Pour mixture into crust-lined pan. Top with the second crust and seal edges. Cut several slits into the top of the dough with a sharp knife. Place foil around the outer crust to prevent burning.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil from edges and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Allow pie to rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.