Treat your family to this simple lactose free homemade chicken pot pie recipe tonight. Our version of the recipe uses Lactaid® Milk and all the flavorful ingredients chicken pot pie is known for, like sweet potatoes, squash, and carrots.
1 box refrigerated pie crust (2 pie crusts)
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup finely diced onion
1/3 cup all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup <a href="/products/lactaid-milk/lactaid-reduced-fat-2-milk">LACTAID® Reduced Fat Milk</a>
1/2 cup carrots, diced 1/2 inch
1/2 cup parsnips, diced 1/2 inch
2 cups sweet potato, diced 1/2 inch
2 cups butternut squash, diced 1/2 inch
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until soft.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper and cook briefly.
- Whisk in chicken broth and LACTAID® Milk, stirring until you reach a simmer.
- Add the vegetables and cook until they become slightly soft, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes. Add chicken and set aside.
- Unroll 1 pie crust and place in a 9-inch glass pie pan.
- Pour mixture into crust-lined pan. Top with the second crust and seal edges. Cut several slits into the top of the dough with a sharp knife. Place foil around the outer crust to prevent burning.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil from edges and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Allow pie to rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.