Dutch-processed cocoa (such as Hershey’s Special Dark)
plus 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup, or sundae topping of choice
(12-ounce) container of non-dairy whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 325° F. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another medium bowl, using a hand mixer on high, mix together the eggs with the sugar and brown sugar until fluffy and creamy.
- Add oil and vanilla and mix on medium until smooth. Add half the flour mixture at a time to the wet ingredients and mix on low just to incorporate. Add the LACTAID® Fat Free Milk, and the other half of the dry ingredients, and mix on low until smooth. Do not over mix.
- Cut an 8” round of parchment paper. Spray a round cake pan with nonstick spray, place in the fitted parchment paper, and spray again.
- Pour in batter, and bake for 30 minutes, until cake springs back when lightly pressed with your finger.
- Cool for 30 minutes in pan, then flip over and empty onto cooking rack and let cool completely (upside down; this will minimize cake top dome shape).
- Gently cut the cake in half horizontally using a long serrated knife. (This is much easier if you wrap the cooled cake in wax paper or plastic wrap, and freeze for an hour or so) Line an 8” cake pan with plastic wrap, leaving overhang. Place one half of the cake in the lined cake pan.
- Drizzle the syrup or sundae topping evenly over the surface of the cake, spreading gently without pulling out the delicate crumb.
- Stir the softened LACTAID® Cookies & Cream Ice Cream and spoon on top of the syrup, gently spreading evenly (Ice cream should be pliable, but NOT melted).
- Place the second cake layer on top of the ice cream.
- Cover with plastic wrap and gently press the whole cake down into the cake pan, creating a flat, even top.
- Freeze for minimum 2 hours, or until entire cake is very firm.
- Flip the whole cake onto a large plate (using the plastic wrap overhang to help you).
- Spread the thawed whipped topping over the whole cake to frost it.
- Drizzle the remaining 1 Tablespoon of syrup over the cake decoratively.
- Serve the cake immediately, or freeze again if you prefer the icing to be firm. Keeps up to 3 days in the freezer.
Yield: 8 slices
Prep time: 4 hours, including freezing time
Ease of preparation: Easy
Serving Size: 1/12 cake
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 21g
Calories from Fat 180kcal
Saturated Fat 9g
Total Carbohydrate 55g
Dietary Fiber 1g