Chocolate Oreo Ice Cream Cake
This lactose-free chocolate cake has a LACTAID® Lactose-Free Cookies & Cream Ice Cream filling. Try it for your next party or family gathering for a delicious frozen treat that won’t cause any discomfort!
For the Cake
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa (such as Hershey’s Special Dark)
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup sugar
⅓ cup brown sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
⅔ cup plus 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup, or sundae topping of choice
1 (12-ounce) container of non-dairy whipped topping
LACTAID® Fat-Free Lactose-Free Milk
LACTAID® Lactose-Free Cookies & Cream Ice Cream
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another medium bowl, using a hand mixer on high, mix together the eggs with the sugar and brown sugar until fluffy and creamy.
- Add oil and vanilla and mix on medium until smooth. Add half the flour mixture at a time to the wet ingredients and mix on low just to incorporate. Add the LACTAID® Fat-Free Lactose-Free Milk, and the other half of the dry ingredients, and mix on low until smooth. Do not over mix.
- Cut an 8-inch of parchment paper. Spray a round cake pan with nonstick spray, place in the fitted parchment paper, and spray again.
- Pour in batter, and bake for 30 minutes, until cake springs back when lightly pressed with your finger.
- Cool for 30 minutes in pan, then flip over and empty onto cooking rack and let cool completely (upside down; this will minimize cake top dome shape).
- Gently cut the cake in half horizontally using a long serrated knife. (This is much easier if you wrap the cooled cake in wax paper or plastic wrap, and freeze for an hour or so) Line an 8-inch cake pan with plastic wrap, leaving overhang. Place one half of the cake in the lined cake pan.
- Drizzle the syrup or sundae topping evenly over the surface of the cake, spreading gently without pulling out the delicate crumb.
- Stir the softened LACTAID® Lactose-Free Cookies & Cream Ice Cream and spoon on top of the syrup, gently spreading evenly (Ice cream should be pliable, but NOT melted).
- Place the second cake layer on top of the ice cream.
- Cover with plastic wrap and gently press the whole cake down into the cake pan, creating a flat, even top.
- Freeze for minimum 2 hours, or until entire cake is very firm.
- Flip the whole cake onto a large plate (using the plastic wrap overhang to help you).
- Spread the thawed whipped topping over the whole cake to frost it.
- Drizzle the remaining 1 Tablespoon of syrup over the cake decoratively.
- Serve the cake immediately, or freeze again if you prefer the icing to be firm. Keeps up to 3 days in the freezer.