Custard Cream Gelato
No ice cream fan can resist gelato. This Italian-style ice cream is rich, smooth, and creamy, like frozen custard. Choose the citrus-laced basic version or the fresh-tasting strawberry variation.
1 medium lemon or orange
1 ⅓ cups sugar
12 egg yolks, beaten
LACTAID® Lactose-Free Whole Milk
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove long strips of peel from the lemon or orange; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine 3 cups of the LACTAID® Lactose-Free Whole Milk, the sugar, and egg yolks. Add lemon or orange peel to saucepan.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture just coats a metal spoon (mixture may appear slightly curdled). Remove from the heat
- Stir in remaining LACTAID® Lactose-Free Whole Milk.
- Cover the surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate several hours or overnight until well chilled. (Or, place the saucepan in a sink of ice water to chill quickly.) Remove lemon peel from mixture.
- Freeze in a 4- or 5-quart ice cream freezer according to the manufacturer’s directions.
For Strawberry Gelato: Prepare Custard Cream Gelato as directed, except omit lemon or orange peel. Coarsely chop 3 cups strawberries and place in a blender container or food processor bowl. Cover and blend or process until nearly smooth. Stir strawberries and, if desired, several drops of red food coloring into cooked mixture. Chill and freeze as directed. Makes about 2 ¾ quarts (22, ½-cup servings).
© Copyright 2007, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.