- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Mix remaining ingredients together in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Check if the oil is hot enough by sprinkling a bit of flour into it. If the flour sizzles right away, the oil is ready.
- Spoon about 5 or 6 walnut-size balls of the batter, very carefully, into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove fritters and place on a paper-towel-lined baking sheet to drain while frying the remaining fritters.
- Serve the fritters hot with butter and marmalade if desired.