Gingered Shortcake with Spiced Fruit
Shortcake isn’t just for strawberries! Fill these ginger-scented shortcake layers with blueberries, apples, nectarines, or pears.
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ cup butter
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger*
3 tablespoons butter
3 cups thinly sliced cooking apples, nectarines, and/or pears
3 tablespoons brown sugar
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup fresh blueberries
½ (8 ounce) tub frozen whipped nondairy dessert topping, thawed
LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Lactose-Free Milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine flour, granulated sugar, and baking powder. Cut in the ½ cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine egg, LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Lactose-Free Milk, and ginger; add to flour mixture. Stir just to moisten.
- Spread in a greased 8x1 ½-inch round baking pan. Bake in 450 degree F oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove shortcake from pan; cool on a wire rack.
- Split the shortcake into 2 layers.
- In a large skillet melt the 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add apples, nectarines, and/or pears. Cook for 2 to 5 minutes or until almost tender. Stir in brown sugar and nutmeg. Cook for 1 to 3 minutes more or until fruit is tender and the liquid is reduced. Stir in blueberries. Cool completely.
- Place the bottom cake layer on a serving plate. Spoon about two-thirds of the fruit mixture and the whipped topping over cake. Top with second cake layer and remaining fruit mixture.
*If fresh ginger is not available, substitute with 1 teaspoon of ground ginger.
© Copyright 2007, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.