Fresh mussels are steamed with garlic, onion, and lime, and served with a savory white sauce.
- Rinse mussels and remove any beards* that may be present. Discard any mussels that are open. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add sliced onions and garlic. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is transparent. Add quartered lime and mussels. Cover pot and steam 4 to 5 minutes or until mussels have opened. Discard any mussels that have not opened**. Drain mussels, reserving the liquid released during cooking. Place cooked mussels into a serving dish and cover to keep warm.
- Cook 1 tablespoon of oil and the flour in a small pan over low heat until the flour starts to brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Mix egg yolk with 1/4 cup LACTAID® Milk in small bowl. Set aside.
- Add remaining LACTAID® Milk to flour mixture and stir constantly with a wire whisk. Add reserved liquid from the cooked mussels and the egg yolk and LACTAID® Milk mixture. Heat mixture over medium heat stirring constantly for 2 to 3 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken. Add parsley and season to taste.
- Pour sauce over mussels. Serve immediately.
*Beards are fibrous strands mussels use to attach themselves to rocks etc…