This cobbler can be made any time of year with either fresh or frozen peaches! And it pairs perfectly with LACTAID® lactose-free ice cream.
8 cups sliced, peeled fresh or frozen peaches
¾ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup butter, melted
1 ½ cups chopped pecans
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup shortening
LACTAID® Fat-Free Lactose-Free Milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Thaw frozen peach slices, if using; do not drain. For pecan filling, stir together brown sugar and melted butter. Add pecans; toss to mix. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven combine peaches, 1 cup granulated sugar, water, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Keep warm.
- Combine ¾ cup LACTAID® Fat-Free Lactose-Free Milk and lemon juice; set aside. For dough, in a large bowl stir together flour, 2 teaspoons granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center; add milk mixture. Stir just until dough clings together. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently for 10 to 12 strokes. Roll dough into a 12x8-inch rectangle; spread with pecan filling. Roll up from one of the long sides. Cut into 16 slices.
- Transfer hot peach mixture to a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Place dough slices, cut side down, on top of the hot peach mixture. Bake in a 400 degree F oven about 25 minutes or until topping is golden. Serve warm with additional milk, if desired.
© Copyright 2007, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.