Fall’s favorite pie just got a lot more fun sized. These sweet and spooky fall treats have all the pumpkin pie flavor you love in an adorable hand-held serving. For breakfast, dessert, or Halloween party treat, these mummy-shaped pumpkin hand pies are sure to deliver boo-koos of praise.
- Make the dough: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt to combine. Add the butter, tossing the cubes in the flour to coat. Working quickly, using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut the butter into the flour until the butter is about the size of cherries.
- Make a well in the center and add the water a few tablespoons at a time and mix just until the dough comes together. Continue adding water a tablespoon at a time until you have a dough that holds together well but isn’t wet or sticky.
- Shape dough into a rectangle and wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Then, turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a rectangle, fold it in thirds like a letter, then roll again and repeat the folding once more. Shape the dough back into a rectangle, rewrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using (or up to 2 days).
- Make the pumpkin pie filling: In a medium bowl, add the pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, egg, LACTAID® Whole Milk, and cornstarch, and whisk until well combined. Cover the bowl and chill until ready to assemble the hand pies.
- Assemble the hand pies: On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a large rectangle (around 15”x16”). Cut the dough in half and return half of it covered to the fridge. Using a ruler and a sharp knife, cut the rolled dough into 3”x4” rectangles; you should get 8 rectangles. Place the cut rectangles carefully onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and refrigerate for 10-15min to help firm the pastry slightly.
- While the rectangles are chilling, cut the remaining half of the rolled pastry into even 1/4-inch strips about 7 inches long; these will be your mummy bandages.
- Remove the pastry rectangles from the fridge. Light brush the edges of one piece of pastry with egg wash, then add a dollop of pumpkin pie filling, smoothing to flatten. Place the cut strips over the filling in alternating angles to create the mummy look, leaving an opening where the eyes will eventually be. Cut off any excess dough from the strips and use a fork to gently press down the strips to seal them. Repeat until all of the hand pies are assembled.
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer and freeze for 30 minutes, or until the dough is firm. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Remove the hand pies from the freezer, lightly brush the strips with egg wash, and sprinkle liberally with cinnamon sugar. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until they are pale golden brown on the tops and bottoms. Remove from the oven and carefully stick candy eyes on. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
Notes: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.