Roasted Berry Sheet Cake
This lactose-free berry and vanilla sheet cake recipe is perfect for any summer party. A beautifully basic vanilla sheet cake is topped with roasted mixed berries, a light lemon buttercream, and finally, fresh berries, for a gorgeous, show-stopping dessert.
For the Roasted Berries
2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
1 cup fresh raspberries
1 cup fresh blackberries
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup fresh cherries, pitted
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 vanilla bean (optional)
For the Vanilla Sheet Cake
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs, room temperature
3 cups cake flour (substitute all-purpose flour)
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
For the Lemon Buttercream
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3 ½ cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
LACTAID® Lactose-Free Whole Milk
For the Roasted Berries
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add all the fruit and the vanilla bean to the bottom of a baking dish, then sprinkle with sugar and lemon juice and toss gently to combine.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then stir and bake for another 10-15 minutes until the berries are soft and syrupy.
- Remove from the oven and let cool fully to room temperature.
For the Vanilla Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9x13” cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and sugar until smooth. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and whisk until fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix half of the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, then add in the LACTAID® Lactose-Free Whole Milk. Once incorporated, add in the remaining dry ingredients, and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the lined cake pan and smooth into an even layer.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely to room temperature before frosting.
For the Lemon Frosting
- In a large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the room temperature butter and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Add in the lemon juice and beat the frosting on high for 4-5 minutes until lightly and fluffy.
- If needed, add in LACTAID® Lactose-Free Whole Milk 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
To Assemble the Cake
- Use the end of a wooden spoon or chopstick to poke small holes over the surface of the cake.
- Spoon a thin layer of the roasted berries and the leftover juices, over the top of the cake and let sit for about 20 minutes to absorb.
- Spoon dollops of frosting over the surface of the cake, then gently smooth into an even layer, using an offset spatula to make big swirls in the frosting.
- Decorate the cake with fresh berries.