1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup wild rice
1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
1 1/2 cups hot water
2 tablespoons unsalted margarine, divided
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 medium potato, peeled and diced
1 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
Black pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, cook chicken broth and wild rice until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soak mushrooms in hot water for 20 minutes.
- Drain mushrooms, reserving soaking liquid. Cut off mushroom stems and discard. Thinly slice mushrooms.
- In a 2 1/2 quart saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon margarine, add mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes. Place mushrooms in a small bowl.
- In the same pan, melt 1 tablespoon margarine, add onion, garlic, rosemary, thyme and salt and saute for 8 minutes.
- Add to the onion mixture the potato, beef broth and reserved mushroom soaking liquid. Cover and simmer until potato is very tender, about 13 minutes.
- Using a blender, puree soup until smooth. Return soup to saucepan. Stir in wild rice, mushrooms, and LACTAID® Fat Free Milk. Cover and simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors. Season with pepper.