Shiitake Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
This mushroom soup is hearty and lactose-free! With the addition of the wild rice and potatoes, this soup makes both a great side dish or main course!
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
½ cup wild rice
1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
1 ½ cups hot water
2 tablespoons unsalted margarine, divided
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
½ teaspoon dried rosemary
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon salt
1 medium potato, peeled and diced
1 ½ cups low-sodium beef broth
Black pepper to taste
LACTAID® Fat-Free Lactose-Free Milk
- In a small saucepan, cook chicken broth and wild rice until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soak mushrooms in hot water for 20 minutes.
- Drain mushrooms, reserving soaking liquid. Cut off mushroom stems and discard. Thinly slice mushrooms.
- In a 2 ½-quart saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon margarine. Add mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes. Transfer sauteed mushrooms to a small bowl.
- In the same pan, melt another tablespoon of margarine. Add onion, garlic, rosemary, thyme and salt. Sauté mixture for 8 minutes.
- Add the potato, beef broth and reserved mushroom soaking liquid to the sauteed onions. Cover and simmer until potato is very tender, about 13 minutes.
- Using a blender, or an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. Return soup to saucepan.
- Stir in wild rice, mushrooms, and LACTAID® Fat-Free Lactose-Free Milk. Cover and simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors. Season with pepper.