- To prepare and bake Pastry Shell: Combine 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/3 cup shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to one side of the bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon cold water at a time, until all of flour mixture is moistened (4 to 5 tablespoons water). Form dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a 12-inch circle. Transfer pastry to a 9-inch pie plate. Ease into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Do not prick pastry. Line with a double thickness of foil.
- Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 5 to 6 minutes more or until golden. Set aside.
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, for filling, in a medium saucepan combine cornstarch and salt; stir in 1/4 cup of the LACTAID® Reduced Fat Milk until smooth. Stir in remaining LACTAID® Reduced Fat Milk and the cream of coconut. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot filling into egg yolks, stirring constantly. Pour yolk mixture into remaining hot filling in saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in butter until melted. Stir in the 1 cup coconut and the 2 teaspoons vanilla. Keep warm.
- For meringue, in a large mixing bowl combine egg whites, the 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until soft peaks form. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed 4 minutes more or until mixture forms stiff peaks and sugar dissolves.
- Spoon hot filling into pastry shell. Immediately spread meringue evenly over hot filling, carefully sealing to edge of pastry to prevent shrinkage. Sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons coconut. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour. Chill at least 3 hours or up to 6 hours before serving.