Serve this Mexican-style bean and rice main-dish with warm tortillas and a simple green salad.
½ cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil or cooking oil
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon salt
1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 ½ cups cooked brown rice
1 cup shredded Cheddar-style soy cheese (optional)
2 eggs, beaten
Nonstick cooking spray
Chopped green sweet pepper (optional)
LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Lactose-Free Milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil until tender but not brown. Stir in chili powder, cumin, and salt. Cook for 1 minute more.
- Cool onion and garlic mixture. Once cool, stir in beans, cooked rice, soy cheese (if using), LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Lactose-Free Milk, and eggs.
- Lightly coat a 10-inch pie plate or quiche dish with cooking spray. Spoon mixture into pie plate.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven about 25 minutes or until the center is set.
- Let stand 10 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with green pepper and serve with salsa.
© Copyright 2007, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.