Whitefish, such as cod, haddock, or orange roughy fillets and clams flavor this creamy chowder.
1 pound fresh or frozen skinless whitefish fillets
3 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
3 stalks celery with leaves, coarsely chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons butter
2 ½ cups potatoes, coarsely chopped
1 (10 ounce) can whole baby clams, rinsed and drained
2 cups water
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Ground black pepper
LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Lactose-Free Milk
- Thaw fish, if frozen. Rinse fish; pat dry. Cut into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven or saucepan cook carrots, celery, onion, and garlic in hot butter for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes, fish, clams, water, salt, and pepper. Bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Lactose-Free Milk. Cook until heated through, stirring frequently.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle each serving with additional ground black pepper.
© Copyright 2007, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.