These old-fashioned sandwich cookies feature a pair of chocolate cake-like cookies stuffed with rich vanilla buttercream and swirled with chocolate butter frosting.
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For cookies, combine the 1 1/4 cups LACTAID® Reduced Fat Milk and lemon juice; let stand 5 minutes. In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the granulated sugar, 2/3 cup cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Beat until thoroughly combined. Beat in the egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla until combined. Beat in the 2 cups flour alternately with the LACTAID® Reduced Fat Milk-lemon juice mixture. Drop by rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges are firm; cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a saucepan gradually stir the 3/4 cup LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Milk into the 1/4 cup flour until smooth. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat; cool.
- In a mixing bowl beat the 3/4 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the first 2 cups powdered sugar; beat until fluffy. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat cooled LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Milk mixture, 1 large spoonful at a time, into butter mixture. Beat on high for 1 minute or until filling is smooth and fluffy. Spread about 2 tablespoons filling on the flat side of half the cooled cookies. Top with the remaining cookies, flat side down.
- For frosting, beat together the 1/4 cup cocoa powder and 3 tablespoons butter. Gradually beat in 1 cup of the powdered sugar. Slowly beat in 2 tablespoons LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Gradually beat in remaining 1 cup powdered sugar. Beat in additional LACTAID® Reduced Fat 2% Milk, if needed, to reach spreading consistency. Frost cookies. Store in the refrigerator.
© Copyright 2007, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.